The history of the Market Road schools began in 1905, when the Mid-Essex Technical College and School of Art was first opened on the Market Road site.
The original buildings - the Art College, - the existing red brick building fronting Market Road, just less than 100 yards from Duke Street, together with the Technical block to the rear, and off to the left, the late thirties Commerce block which fronted the Wood and Metal Workshops - (Where parts were partially machined by students for war production). These structures still remain, albeit that the Commerce block was partly rebuilt after wartime bomb damage.
Mid Essex Tech 1936
The original school badge, which consisted of the three Essex Seaxes of the County Arms, was replaced in 1950 by the “Integer” badge, being more representative of the nature of the school by that time. Full explanations of the meaning of the “Integer” badge and the reasons for change can be found on the School History page and registered users can read an article in Newsletter No 91.
Click on the Camera Icons in the Menu to view photos