Broomfield County Secondary School, the 150th new school in the County of Essex since the conclusion of the Second World War, was opened by The Right Honourable R. A. Butler, Lord Privy Seal, (the present Lord Butler of Saffron Waldon) in November 1956. Mr Eden was headmaster from 1956 until 1970 and Mr. Jackman from 1970 to 1975.
John Watson who was a student of the Mid Essex Technical School from 1946-50 and a staff member of Broomfield Secondary School 1958-65, provided details of the history of the Badge, which is a stylized version of the Escarbuncle bourne on the shield of Sir Geoffrey de Manderville - the first Lord of the Manor of the area encompassing Broomfield, Great & Little Waltham, the Easters and Leighs. The Badge is taken from the shape of the decorative iron bands, which formed the shape of the shield and gave it its strength. The school put its own interpretation on the design which suggested that the knowledge taught by the school would radiate out in all directions as indicated by the Escarbuncle's similarity to a compass rose.
Click on the Camera Icons in the Menu to view photos